Spatial dataset consisting of scenarios of annual nutrient diffuse sources emissions estimated at freshwater functional elementary catchments level and considered in the model GREEN (Grizzetti et al., 2012; March 2019 version) according to four European nutrient (nitrogen and phosphorus) management scenarios:
1. Reference – REF: historical conditions (year 2012)
2. Business as Usual – BAU: implementation of current level of investments in water protection foreseen under Urban Waste Water Treatment Directive (UWWTD) and the Rural Development Programme.
3. Nutrient Scenario – NUTR: includes a full or enhanced implementation of two EU Directives, the UWWTD for collecting and treating wastewater from urban agglomerations, and the Nitrates Directive to protect freshwater from agricultural pollution.
4. High Technically Feasible Reduction – MTFR: assumes all wastewaters in the EU are treated at the maximum level of nutrient reduction currently possible, while mineral fertilisers are applied to an optimal level.
Diffuse sources of nutrients comprise agriculture (mineral and organic fertilization), nitrogen fixation by crops and in soils, nitrogen atmospheric deposition, phosphorus releases from natural areas, and scattered dwellings.
The river basin hydrological data model is based on Catchment Characterisation and Modelling (Vogt et al., 2007; https://data.jrc.ec.europa.eu/dataset/fe1878e8-7541-4c66-8453-afdae7469221) as well as the European catchments and river network system (Ecrins , version 1 - European Environment Agency)
- Maria Bielza
How to cite
Grizzetti, Bruna; Vigiak, Olga; Udias Moinelo, Angel ; Aloe, Alberto; Zanni, Michela; Bouraoui, Faycal; Pistocchi, Alberto; Dorati, Chiara; Friedland, Rene; de Roo, Ad; Benitez Sanz, Carlos; Leip, Adrian; Bielza, Maria (2020): Scenarios of nitrogen and phosphorus diffuse sources in European freshwater (v. mar.2019). European Commission, Joint Research Centre (JRC) [Dataset] PID: http://data.europa.eu/89h/0d0c374c-1843-4a1e-9ca2-0197956c9114
Web-mapping application displaying geographic roll-up / drill-down of diffuse sources to freshwater network over administrative and hydrological geo-hierarchies as well as providing nutrient reduction scenario data at attribute level. Data , stored at granularity of Ecrins functional elementary catchments (FEC), are summarized over 4 level administrative, 3 level hydrological as well as 2 level official river basin district hierarchies. Map viewer defaults to nitrogen diffuse sources over administrative areas (REF scenario). Upon different layer selection it is possible to display different nutrient types over different hierarchies. Hierarchical level display is constrained to chosen zoom level. Attribute access provided upon mouse clicks on active map layers.
Considered scenarios as follows (data available for displaying in pop-up window):
1. Business As Usual (BAU)
2.Nutrient Reduction (NUTR)
3.High Technically Feasible Reduction
4. Reference (REF).
File geodatabase distribution containing the following classes:
1. Main table class greenFecDiffuseSourcesSComp_vrsMar2019 containing records of scenario specific annual diffuse source emissions (nitrogen and phosphorus) for Ecrins functional elementary catchments.
2. Feature class C_ZHYD containing a subset of ECRINS (EEA) functional elementary catchment geometries to be linked to previous table class via primary/foreign key ZHYD
Refer to item specific geodatabase metadata (also available in pdf format inside download package) for more information
POLYGON((-11 71.2,51 71.2,51 31.6,-11 31.6,-11 71.2))
|From date||To date|
- Published by
- European Commission, Joint Research Centre
- Created date
- Modified date
- Issued date
- Data theme(s)
- Agriculture, fisheries, forestry and food, Environment, Health
- Update frequency