Organisation: European Commission, Joint Research Centre
Point of contact:

Title: EFAS snow equivalent


This data set contains for the whole of Europe two layers on snow water equivalent. One based on satellite information and the other one a hydrological model output.

Brief information on the individual layers: 1) Satellite-derived snow water equivalent: Snow Water Equivalent [mm] as derived from satellite measurements (AMSR-E microwave radiometer on EOS-Aqua) with assimilated ground observations. This is an operational H-SAF product. For more information:

2) Model-derived snow water equivalent: LISFLOOD simulated amount of snow [mm water equivalent] based on observed meteorological input.

This information is part of the operational suit of EFAS ( and intends to provide EFAS partners with in-depth information about the current snow water equivalent as important supplementary information to better judge upcoming hydrological extremes.

The update frequency of this data set is daily; and the spatial coverage is the extended ...

How to cite
European Commission, Joint Research Centre (2017):  EFAS snow equivalent. European Commission, Joint Research Centre (JRC) [Dataset] PID:
Related resources

Data access

Additional information
Issue date 2017-03-06
Landing page
Update frequency as needed
Language English
Data theme(s) Environment; Science and technology
EuroVoc domain(s) 36 SCIENCE
EuroVoc concept(s) hydrology
Geographic information

No additional information

Geographic bounding box

67° N, 41° E, 27° S, -11.5° W

Coordinate Reference System ETRS89 / LAEA Europe

Please be aware that the information and links provided in the metadata above are maintained in distributed and heterogeneous information systems. Although we strive to maintain and keep links and information updated, this may not always be possible because of changes that are not registered and updated in the relevant information systems. Please, help us to maintain the system updated by indicating broken links or any other outdated information by contacting the relevant contact point. You can also inform us using the "Contact" link of this page.