Spatial dataset consisting of classes of mean annual nutrient concentrations
estimated at the outlets of freshwater functional elementary catchments with model GREEN (Grizzetti et al., 2012; March 2019 version) according to four European nutrient (nitrogen and phosphorus) management scenarios:
1. Reference – REF: historical conditions (year 2012).
2. Business as Usual – BAU: implementation of current level of investments in water protection foreseen under Urban Waste Water Treatment Directive (UWWTD) and the Rural Development Program.
3. Nutrient Scenario – NUTR: includes a full or enhanced implementation of two EU Directives, the UWWTD for collecting and treating wastewater from urban agglomerations, and the Nitrates Directive to protect freshwater from agricultural pollution.
4. High Technically Feasible Reduction – MTFR: assumes all wastewaters in the EU are treated at the maximum level of nutrient reduction currently possible, while mineral fertilisers are applied to an optimal level.
Sources of nutrients comprise agriculture (mineral and organic fertilization), nitrogen atmospheric deposition, phosphorus releases from natural areas, scattered dwellings, and point sources (domestic and industrial discharges). Nutrients are reduced by attenuation processes in land and freshwater reaches.
The river basin hydrological data model is based on Catchment Characterisation and Modelling
(Vogt et al., 2007; https://data.jrc.ec.europa.eu/dataset/fe1878e8-7541-4c66-8453-afdae7469221) as well as the
European catchments and river network system (Ecrins , version 1 - European Environment Agency
- Maria Bielza
How to cite
Grizzetti, Bruna; Vigiak, Olga; Udias Moinelo, Angel ; Aloe, Alberto; Zanni, Michela; Bouraoui, Faycal; Dorati, Chiara; Friedland, Rene; De Roo, Ad; Benitez Sanz, Carlos; Leip, Adrian; Bielza, Maria (2020): Scenarios of nitrogen and phosphorus concentrations in European freshwater (v. mar.2019). European Commission, Joint Research Centre (JRC) [Dataset] PID: http://data.europa.eu/89h/e1f0d760-8265-4c0f-bfbf-357d67aae875
Map viewer application providing informative support for scenarios of nitrogen and phosphorus concentrations in European freshwater version mar.2019. The viewer is composed of:
1. Four nitrogen concentration layers showing classes of
concentrations for available nutrient scenarios and Ecrins functional elementary catchments.
2. Four phosphorus concentration layers showing classes of
concentrations for available nutrient scenarios and Ecrins functional elementary catchments
The application provides a set of standard tools to support data visualization as well as a specific one supporting layer comparison (swipe tool)
File geodatabase distribution containing the following classes:
1. Main table class greenFecConcentrationsScomp_vrsMar2019 containing scenario specific records of mean annual concentration classes (nitrogen and phosphorus) for Ecrins functional elementary catchments.
2. Feature class C_ZHYD containing a subset of ECRINS (EEA) functional elementary catchment geometries to be linked to previous table class via primary/foreign key ZHYD
Refer to item specific geodatabase metadata (also available in pdf format inside download package) for more information
POLYGON((-11 71.2,51 71.2,51 32.6,-11 32.6,-11 71.2))
|From date||To date|
- Published by
- European Commission, Joint Research Centre
- Created date
- Modified date
- Issued date
- Data theme(s)
- Agriculture, fisheries, forestry and food, Environment
- Update frequency
- 01 Oct 2021: 1 visits